Joy House (President's House)
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Joy House was built in the mid 1850s by Francis G. Morse. It was during this same period that a group of men formed a committee to raise money and purchase land to found Almira College, predecessor of Greenville College. The abstract title indicates that the sale of Joy House to James Bradford may have helped secure funds for the establishment of that college. The house and one-half block of land on which it was situated was deeded to James Bradford on May 12, 1857 for $2,600. Mr. Bradford, a widower, was the founder of Bradford National Bank.
On August 3, 1882, the house was sold to Frank P. Joy for $100 less than the original selling price. It was he who added the back section to the building. Since then three generations of the Joy family, all leaders in the Greenville community, have occupied 220 East College Avenue. Frank P. Joy was the first to serve on the Board of Trustees. The Joy family gave nearly 100 years to GC serving as treasurer of the Board: F.P Joy, 1896-1916, Treas. 1901-1916; Walter A.Joy, 1916-1968, Treas., 1916-1928; 1932-1968; Frank R. Joy, 1968-1995, Treas. 1969-1995. Walter A Joy wrote the words to the Alma Mater.
In the summer of 1970, Greenville College purchased the Joy family home to serve as the president's residence. A committee of the board gave supervisory guidance for the major redecoration and restoration of the house. Joy House is furnished in keeping with the period of its origin.
Wilson, Kathryn Eleanor. Tales, Trails & Breadcrumbs, 1838-1938, One-Hundred Years, Bond County, Illinois. Greenville, IL: Naco Printing, 1993.