| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
In the original land deeds, the small stream at the foot of the hill where Main Building was erected was called Sleepy Branch. For many years, a walkway (known as East Walk) roughly paralleled the branch down to West Market Street, and for many years the branch was a highly visible aspect of the college's landscape. The area around the branch was an important gathering area for the social development of the young ladies who were attending the college. The college's young ladies walked, talked, and gossiped beside the branch, and no doubt shared waves across the branch with the some of the young men from town.
At some point in the 20th century, the branch became neglected and the area around it grew up considerably with vegetation. Over the past few years, efforts by people at the college have been made to revitalize the stream and increase awareness of its historical connection with the college.
Turrentine, Samuel Bryant. A Romance of Education. Greensboro, NC: Piedmont Press, 1946.
Selected papers regarding the college and its history. Brock Historical Museum, Greensboro, NC.