| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Over more than the past 150 years, the basic architectural footprint of Greensboro College's Main Building has remained the same. West and east wings were added to the central portion of the building in 1856 and 1859, respectively. The front facade of the building has undergone several changes over the years. After each of the building's three fires (1863, 1904, and 1941), it has risen from the ashes (1873, 1904, 1941) like the phoenix, albeit with new facades. The architecture of the 1st (1845-1863) and 2nd Main Building (1873-1904) was American colonial in nature. The 3rd Main Building (1904-1941) had elements of both American Colonial and Neoclassical; and the 4th (1941-present) is largely Neoclassical in nature, containing elements of both the Greek and Georgian Revival styles. The basic condition of the building today is sound, although, as is the case with any historic structure, regular maintenance is a necessity.
Main Building serves not only as the heart but also the soul of the campus. Rich in tradition and history, Greensboro College was originally chartered in 1838 as one of the earliest women's colleges in the South. For more than a century and a half, Greensboro College has advanced the status of women, helped realize a progressive vision of North Carolina, and inculcated thousands of students with the ideals of enlightened Christianity through a commitment to Methodism and the liberal arts. Since becoming co-educational in 1954, Greensboro College has helped both men and women to unlock their potential thorough a continuing emphasis on community, respect, and pride.