Harold & Wilma Good Library
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Harold & Wilma Good Library was built in 1966-1967 to replace a 30-year old library structure and has continued to serve as the main campus library since that time. It is placed in a central position of a campus that outgrew its original quadrangle layout. The building has worn well functionally and aesthetically throughout its life. In addition to the main academic collection, Good Library houses a special collection, the Mennonite Historical Library, that collects published material by and about Mennonites and related groups from around the world. The 65,000-volume historical collection (begun in 1906) is the largest in the world devoted to this topic. The Mennonite Historical Library supports the college's efforts to maintain and promote an Anabaptist-Mennonite identity. It also serving a global network of scholars and supports the publication of an academic journal, Mennonite Quarterly Review.
In 1965, 45 years after graduation, alumni Harold & Wilma Smucker Good encountered such a courteous welcome by students during an unannounced visit to campus that they pledged one million dollars to the library building project. The construction of the library inspired several landscaping improvements on campus, including Schrock Plaza (with fountain) in front of the library. In 1971, as part of inauguration festivities for new president J. Lawrence Burkholder, students, faculty, and friends of the college planted a large number of trees starting in the vicinity of the library. The addition of these trees helped eradicate the "wheatfield with buildings" feel that had persisted on campus from its beginning in 1903.
Cane, Linda Nelson. Goshen College Architecture, Centennial Project. Videocassette. Goshen, IN: Goshen College Art Department, 1995.
Miller, Susan Fisher. Culture For Service: A History of Goshen College, 1894-1994. Goshen, IN: Goshen College, 1994.