Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Formal Garden

Click on image titles for larger views.

Institution Name: Georgian Court University
Original/Historic Place Name: Formal Garden
Location on Campus: north of Mansion
Date(s) of Construction:
1898-1899original construction Price, Bruce
Designer: Bruce Price
Type of Place: Landscape site
Style: (Glossary)
Significance: landscape
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Function:
1899-present (2006)gardens (planned)
 

Narrative:
The flower beds are placed with mathematical precision and are bordered with boxwood and mazelike paths. They hold lovely annuals and perennials. In the center of the Formal Garden a group of three playful bronze satyrs supports a bronze and marble sundial. Marble benches sit along the paths and decorative floral urns frame the edges.
 

References:

Geis, M. Christina. Georgian Court. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1978.

Geis, M. Christina. Georgian Court: An Estate of the Guilded Age. Philadelphia: Philadelphia Art Alliance Press, 1983.

H2L2, LLP. Campus Master Plan [Georgian Court University]. [Philadelphia: H2L2], April 2003.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006