Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Japanese Garden

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Georgian Court University
Original/Historic Place Name: Japanese Garden
Location on Campus: west of Italian Gardens
Date(s) of Construction:
1909-1910original construction Shiota, Takeo
Designer: Takeo Shiota
Type of Place: Landscape site
Style: (Glossary)
Significance: landscape
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Function:
1910-present (2006)outdoor space
 

Narrative:
The Japanese Garden is a one acre area west of the Italian Gardens. A curving path leads to a small wooden footbridge that crosses a dry-stone stream. A genuine Sukiya (teahouse) with a low-pitched roof sits among Japanese maples and flowering rhododendrons. Takeo Shiota designed an authentic "Chaniwa" (tea garden), a series of little hills planted with effectively grouped low trees and shrubbery. Stone lanterns stand on the pebble-cemented banks. East and West meet at the garden border, where Japanese cherry trees and Jersey pines mingle.
 

References:

Geis, M. Christina. Georgian Court. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1978.

Geis, M. Christina. Georgian Court: An Estate of the Guilded Age. Philadelphia: Philadelphia Art Alliance Press, 1983.

H2L2, LLP. Campus Master Plan [Georgian Court University]. [Philadelphia: H2L2], April 2003.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006