Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Monumental Gate at 9th St.

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Georgian Court University
Original/Historic Place Name: Monumental Gate at 9th St.
Location on Campus: entrance and fence encloses the campus
Date(s) of Construction:
1899original construction Price, Bruce
Designer: Bruce Price
Type of Place: Landscape site
Style: (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, landscape
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Function:
1899-present (2006)other (gate and fence)
 

Narrative:
The Monumental Gate stands at the main entrance to the campus. The wrought iron fence extends from the gate around the perimeter of the campus and has terra cotta piers mounted on marble pedestals set in a brick and marble base wall, all supporting the wrought iron fence sections between. The fence is 3,618 feet long and encircles the entire campus. The Monumental Gate is an ornamental structure of brick, marble, creamy white glazed terra cotta, and wrought iron. It stands approximately thirty feet high and embraces an approximately eighty foot span with its three arches and flanking wings.
 

References:

Geis, M. Christina. Georgian Court. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1978.

Geis, M. Christina. Georgian Court: An Estate of the Guilded Age. Philadelphia: Philadelphia Art Alliance Press, 1983.

H2L2, LLP. Campus Master Plan [Georgian Court University]. [Philadelphia: H2L2], April 2003.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006