Italian Gardens and Apollo Fountain
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The focal point of the roads and paths of the Italian Garden is the Fountain of Apollo, designed and executed by the Scottish-American sculptor John Massey Rhind in 1902. The outer rim of the basin measures sixty feet in diameter. The main figure of Apollo, ten feet in height, and the chariot, a colossal nautilus shell topped by an octopus, are cast in bronze. The other figures--seahorses, mermaids, and cherubs--are in white Istrian marble. Two marble pergolas stand at the north end of the Italian Garden. The large semicircular pergolas with Tuscan columns, marble benches, and statuary emphasize the classic character of the garden.
Geis, M. Christina. Georgian Court. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1978.
Geis, M. Christina. Georgian Court: An Estate of the Guilded Age. Philadelphia: Philadelphia Art Alliance Press, 1983.
H2L2, LLP. Campus Master Plan [Georgian Court University]. [Philadelphia: H2L2], April 2003.