| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Cherrydale, originally known as "Green Farm," was in its early days a modest Colonial farmhouse believed to have been built and lived in by George Washington Green. When James C. Furman, the first President of Furman University, bought the property in 1857, he expanded and continued to use Cherrydale (as the Furman family called it) as a family home, especially on weekends and in the summer. James C. Furman expanded "Green Farm" by adding several rooms, the Greek Revival columns at the front, and the three-bay portico at the front entrance of the structure. The Furmans then landscaped the grounds around Cherrydale and farmed the surrounding land. After the death of the Furman president, Cherrydale was passed through the Furman family until 1939 when the home and the surrounding property were sold to Eugene Stone III. The Stones then renovated and expanded Cherrydale for use as their personal home and utilized much of the land around the home for Stone Manufacturing, Inc. In 1976 the mansion was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Then in 1997 Cherrydale was once again remodeled for use as the corporate guesthouse for Stone Manufacturing.
In 1998 when the entire Cherrydale property was sold, the development company that purchased the land and home, AIG Baker Properties, donated the mansion to Furman University. The following year the 4,900 square foot home was transported four miles over a two-day period to its current location at the highest point on Furman's campus. On October 23, 1999, Furman formally dedicated Cherrydale as its alumni house. Since moving to Furman, the home has been remodeled somewhat under Furman's care and is continually maintained, as it serves an integral purpose on campus.
There is a very strong connection between Furman University and Cherrydale. The second owner and tenant of Cherrydale was the first President of Furman University, James Clement Furman, and the descendants of Furman who maintained Cherrydale for a time continued the strong connection between their family and the university. Today the home serves as the residence for alumni and friends who return to visit Furman.
Cherrydale [Furman University]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1976.
Daniel, Robert Norman. Furman University: A History. Greenville, SC: Furman University, 1951.
Reid, Alfred Sandlin. Furman University. Toward a New Identity 1925-1975. Durham, NC: Duke University Press, 1976.