Phi Delta Theta Fraternity House
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Phi Delta Theta fraternity house is the oldest fraternity house on campus (1926) and was the first fraternity established at Franklin College (1860). George Banta, a member of Franklin College's chapter of Phi Delta Theta, was one of two Phi Delta Theta members accorded the title of "Second Founder" by the international fraternity in recognition of their contributions to the growth and success of the organization during the two decades from 1870 to 1890. Banta was also largely responsible for the movement of Delta Gamma sorority to the northern states. Banta established the first northern Delta Gamma chapter at Franklin College in 1879, which led to an informal association between the two organizations that has lasted to this day. Delta Gamma is still considered Phi Delta Theta's "sister" sorority while Phi Delta Theta is considered Delta Gamma's "brother" fraternity.