| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Chapel was constructed in 1976 by the Indiana Baptist Convention as a reminder of the founding of Franklin College by pioneer Baptists and the continuing relationship of the college with the Indiana Baptist Convention. The Chapel contains a plaque in honor of Jesse Lynch Holman (1784-1842) and Roger Williams (1603-1683). Holman was one of the founders of Franklin College who was active in the Baptist Church, temperance reform, and in the formation of the Indiana Historical Society in 1830. (Franklin College was founded by the Baptist Education Society in 1834 and maintains a voluntary affiliation with the American Baptist Churches/USA.) Williams was known as a pioneer of religious liberty. The Chapel has been a focal point for campus religious activities since its dedication and has also been the venue for numerous campus convocations and public addresses. In addition, the Chapel has been a traditionally popular place for Franklin College alumni to hold their wedding ceremonies.