Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Goodell Athletic Field

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Franklin College
Original/Historic Place Name: Goodell Athletic Field
Location on Campus: south side of campus, across the street from Fitness Center of Grizzly Dr.
Date(s) of Construction:
1889original construction
Designer:
Type of Place: Landscape site
Style: (Glossary)
Significance: history, landscape
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Function:
1889-present (2006)other (field for football, formerly also used for baseball and track)
 

Narrative:
Goodell Athletic Field was built in 1889 largely as a result of the efforts of Professor C.E. Goodell (who later became President of the college.) The field was originally adapted to the sports of baseball, football, and track. Baseball and track were both relocated in subsequent years leaving the field to service primarily the sport of football. Goodell Athletic Field is now the site of Faught Stadium which was dedicated in 1999 and named after Franklin College's legendary football coach, Stewart "Red" Faught. Stewart Faught's long and noteworthy tenure at Franklin College included a victory in the 1972 Mineral Water Bowl and national recognition as a guru for the run-and-shoot offense. Faught is also an inductee of several sporting "hall of fames" including the NAIA Hall of Fame and the Indiana Football Hall of Fame.
 

References:
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006