McAuliffe Hall and Walsh Hall
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
McAuliffe and Walsh Halls are located in the Prospect Hill neighborhood of New Haven, an area that developed as a suburb between 1890 and 1930. The area is characterized by a wide range of architectural styles from this time, in revival and eclectic forms. McAuliffe Hall is a two-story brick house, distinctive on the exterior for its eclectic Victorian style, and on the interior for its handsomely carved wooden doors and staircases. The library has shelving of rare Philippine teakwood. Carved into its fireplace are representations of groupings of Connecticut trees. On the original ceiling are images of twelve bookplates of the leading publishers of the day.
Victor Tyler, with his wife and six-year-old son Morris, moved into this home in 1907 and remained there until 1926 when the college purchased the building and adjacent property, the Mitchell estate. The Tylers then moved into an apartment area on the Mitchell property, which had been established in 1912.
Walsh Hall originally served as the carriage house and stables for the Tyler estate. After the college's purchase of the building, it became a science building and underwent subsequent additions as department needs expanded.
Brown, Elizabeth Mills. New Haven, a Guide to Architecture and Urban Design. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 1976.
Ryan, Susan. Prospect Hill Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1979, pp. 30, 41, 48-49.