Alumni House and Gerhart House
| Click on image titles for larger views. |
Huegel Alumni House and Gerhart House (front facade, Huegel Alumni House), Franklin & Marshall College
Throughout the 2nd half of the nineteenth century, the College added buildings to meet evolving educational needs. Two identical Victorian buildings, now Gerhart House and Huegel Alumni House, were erected in 1871 to house professors from the Theological Seminary of the Reformed Church, which at the time shared facilities and classrooms with the College. A Tudor Revival gymnasium, designed by James H. Warner, was built in 1891; a High Victorian library, donated by John Watts dePeyster and designed by M. O'Connor, an architect from Hudson, New York, was erected in 1897-98; and in 1900 the college erected a Science Building, designed in the Beaux Arts classical idiom by Lancaster architect C. Emlen Urban.
Dubbs, Joseph Henry. History of Franklin and Marshall College. Lancaster, PA: Franklin and Marshall College Alumni Association, 1903.
Griffith, Sally Foreman. History of Franklin & Marshall College, forthcoming (2006).
Klauder, Charles Z., and Herbert C. Wise. College Architecture in America. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1929.
Klein, H. M. J. History of Franklin and Marshall College 1787-1948. Lancaster, PA: Franklin and Marshall College Alumni Association, 1952.
Klein, Frederick Shriver. Since 1787: The Franklin & Marshall College Story. Lancaster, PA: Franklin and Marshall College, 1968.
Larson, Jens Frederick, and Archie MacInness Palmer. Architectural Planning of the American College. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1933.
Leslie, W. Bruce. Gentlemen and Scholars: College and Community in the "Age of the University," 1865-1917. University Park, PA: Pennsylvania State University Press, 1992.
Schuyler, David. "The 'New' Franklin & Marshall: Charles Z. Klauder, Henry Harbaugh Apple, and Campus Design in the 1920s." Online. (1998). Franklin & Marshall College, Lancaster, PA. http://www.fandm.edu/Departments/AmericanStudies/faculty/schuyler/Klauder/Klauder.html
Turner, Paul Venable. Campus: An American Planning Tradition. New York: Architectural History Foundation; Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1984.