| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Wood-Mar Hall is George Fox University's "Old Main", and it plays a predominant role in both the university and the surrounding City of Newberg. Built in 1910 and opened in 1911, it is the tallest building on campus and the most visible to the general public. For generations of George Fox students, it was nearly the entire college--at least for classrooms and offices. So commanding was its presence and so central was it to campus life, that Wood-Mar Hall was the university's identity logo, used on college letterhead stationery and publications. The three-story brick building, with its distinctive Spanish-style cornice, is one of just two remaining buildings from the university's opening decades. It owes its existence to Newberg residents--and specifically to two Newberg women who led a campaign for its construction. Longtime Quakers and friends Amanda Woodward and Evangeline Martin canvassed the Newberg country side in horse and buggy, raising funds. The building's name honors their leadership. Immediately upon the building's opening, the third floor auditorium became the community's cultural center, hosting recitals, plays, concerts, lectures, and debates. Nine decades later it continues to fulfill this function, assisted by a major renovation in 1994. The first and second floor originally became the college center, with classrooms, library, and faculty and administrative offices. Over the decades, all classrooms were converted to administrative offices and service areas. Renovation in 2002 restored the period look of the main floor, as it returned to being the Office of the President and Academic Affairs. Additionally, Engineering department classrooms, labs, and offices were created on the first and second floors.
Beebe, Ralph K. George. A Heritage to Honor, A Future to Fulfill: George Fox College, 1891-1991. Newberg, OR: Barclay Press, 1991.