J. A. Albertson Activities Center
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Built in 1991, the Albertson Complex comprises the J. A. Albertson Activities Center and Aquatic Center, and the Kathryn Albertson International Center. The Activities Center includes the basketball field house (capacity 3,000), the Physical Education and Athletic Departments, a weight room, a climbing wall, an aerobics/dance room, and a ski prep facility. The Aquatic Center features a 25-yard competition swimming pool. The two facilities total 75,000 square feet on two levels.
The Kathryn Albertson International Center, a classroom and office building comprising 25,000 square feet on three levels, is home to the Business, Economics and Politics, and Modern Foreign Language Departments. Also present are computer labs and the Shannon Memorial Library.
The Albertson Complex is named for two distinguished alumni, the late J.A. and Kathryn Albertson, (1906-1992), (1907-2002), founders of the Albertson supermarket chain. Both native Idahoans, they met when they came to college in Caldwell in 1929. They were married by Dr. William Judson Boone, whose influence remained with them for the rest of their lives. In 1990 the Albertsons donated more than $13 million to The College of Idaho, a sum that built the Albertson Complex and commissioned the stature of Dr. Boone that now stands in front of the William Judson Boone Science Hall. In 1991, at the request of the board of trustees, the Albertsons agreed to the changing of the college's name to Albertson College of Idaho.
Attebery, Louie W. Albertson College of Idaho: The Second Hundred Years. Caldwell, ID: Albertson College of Idaho, 1999.
Attebery, Louie W. The College of Idaho 1891-1991: A Centennial History. Caldwell, ID: Caxton Publishers, Ltd., 1991.
Memories: Joe Albertson. Booklet. Boise: Albertson's Inc., Communications Department, 1993.