Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Esplanades

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Florida Southern College
Original/Historic Place Name: Esplanades
Location on Campus: West Campus - Johnson Ave.
Date(s) of Construction:
1941-1958original construction Wright, Frank Lloyd
Designer: Frank Lloyd Wright
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Modern/pre-WWII, Modern/post-WWII (Glossary)
Significance: architecture
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: concrete
Walls: concrete
Roof: built-up
 
Function:
ca. 1941other (covered walkways that connect buildings over the entire campus)
 

Narrative:
The Esplanades are covered walkways 1.5 miles in length that connect the buildings on campus. Trimmed with sculptured copper, they provide shelter and in many places have central openings to allow light and rain to reach planters located at the ground level of the walkways.
 

References:

Florida Southern College. Historic American Buildings Survey report and photos. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, [n.d.].

Florida Southern College: The First Hundred Years. Lakeland, FL: Florida Southern College, 1985.

Frank Lloyd Wright Quarterly 12, no. 3 (2001).

Little, J. Rodney, and Phillip A. Werndli. Florida Southern College Architectural District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1975.

Rogers, Steven B. "The Frank Lloyd Wright Campus at Florida Southern College: A Child of the Sun." Frank Lloyd Wright Quarterly 12 (Summer 2001): 4-23.

Smalling, Walter, Jr. Esplanade (Walkway) [Florida Southern College]. Historic American Buildings Survey photographs. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1979.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006