Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
William H. Danforth Chapel

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Florida Southern College
Original/Historic Place Name: William H. Danforth Chapel
Location on Campus: West Campus - Johnson Ave.
Date(s) of Construction:
1955original construction Wright, Frank Lloyd
Designer: Frank Lloyd Wright
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Modern/post-WWII (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, landscape
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: concrete
Walls: concrete textile block
Roof: copper sheet
 
Function:
ca. 1955-present (2006)chapel
 

Narrative:
This building was constructed just to the southwest of the Pfeiffer Chapel. It is a small concrete and steel structure containing an apse of narrow vertical windows of colored glass. The building is topped by a low gable roof with a sharp sweep at the eaves.
 

References:

Florida Southern College. Historic American Buildings Survey report and photos. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, [n.d.].

Florida Southern College: The First Hundred Years. Lakeland, FL: Florida Southern College, 1985.

Frank Lloyd Wright Quarterly 12, no. 3 (2001).

Little, J. Rodney, and Phillip A. Werndli. Florida Southern College Architectural District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1975.

Rogers, Steven B. "The Frank Lloyd Wright Campus at Florida Southern College: A Child of the Sun." Frank Lloyd Wright Quarterly 12 (Summer 2001): 4-23.

Smalling, Walter, Jr. William H. Danforth Chapel [Florida Southern College]. Historic American Buildings Survey photographs. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1979.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006