Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Central Campus

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Emory & Henry College
Original/Historic Place Name: Central Campus
Location on Campus: 1 Garnand Dr.
Date(s) of Construction:
1847-1852original construction of Charles C. Collins House, Emily Williams House, J. Stewart French House
1889original construction of Byars Hall Fine Arts Center
1904-1908Martin-Brock Student Activities Center
1928Ephraimoriginal construction of Emerson Wiley Hall
Designer:
Type of Place: Building group
Style: Beaux-Arts classicism, Regionalist/Vernacular (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, history, landscape
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Function:
1777-present (2006)master plan (campus)
 

Narrative:
Emory & Henry College is the oldest institution of higher education in Southwest Virginia. The College has been under the operation of the United Methodist Church continuously since its founding in 1836.

National Register reports:
The Emory and Henry campus consists of a complex of ten academic and residential buildings scattered informally through a pleasantly rolling park studded with many trees. The campus is located in the village of Emory which consists almost entirely of school-related buildings. Nestled in the beautiful countryside of Washington County, the grouping forms a classic image of a 19th century college town. Ten buildings are considered of historic and architectural interest to the school. Interspersed among these early buildings are seven modern academic structures which though harmonizing in scale, color, and materials are, because of their recent date (less than fifty years old), not considered essential to the historic integrity of the campus.

The buildings of historic and architectural significance consist of three Greek Revival faculty residences built during the period 1847-1852: The Charles C. Collins House, the Emily Williams House, and the J. Stewart French House. All three houses are simple rectangular structures constructed of bricks made on the site. The early academic buildings include the following: Byars Hall Fine Arts Center (1889), Waterhouse-Carriger Hall (1904-08), Henry Carter Stuart Hall (1909), Miller-Fulton Hall (1914), Martin-Brock Student Activities Center (1923), and the Ephraim Emerson Wiley Hall (1928). The Tobias Smyth House is a log house and the home of one of the school founders. It was moved and rebuilt on the campus in 1929.
 

References:

A Self-Guided Walking Tour of the Campus of Emory & Henry College. Pamphlet. Emory, VA: Emory & Henry College, [n.d.].

Trollinger, Patsi Barnes. Emory and Henry College. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1989.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006