Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Center for Research and Development

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Endicott College
Original/Historic Place Name: Agassiz House
Location on Campus: Hale St.
Date(s) of Construction:
1928original construction Bigelow, Wadsworth, Hubbard & Smith
Designer: Bigelow, Wadsworth, Hubbard & Smith (Boston)
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Other (Glossary)
Significance: architecture
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: brick
Walls: brick
Roof: slate
 
Function:
1928-2003private residence
ca. 2003-present (2006)academic department building (Center for Research and Development)
 

Narrative:
This building was originally designed for Rodolphe Louis and Maria Agassiz by the Boston firm of Bigelow, Wadsworth, Hubbard and Smith in 1928. Louis Agassiz was the grandson of Jean Louis Rodolphe Agassiz, founder and first director of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard Museum and the son of Alexander Agassiz, the second curator and director of the museum. His grandfather's second wife was Elizabeth C. Cary, one of the founders of Radcliffe College. Endicott College purchased the property in 2003 from R. L. Agassiz's grandson Cornelius Conway Felton. The property is now the Center for Research and Development at Endicott College.
 

References:

Endicott College in Words and Pictures. Beverly, MA: Publications of Endicott College, 2003.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006