| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The historic appearance of the original building was completely altered by the remodeling. A pedestrian one-level brick structure, purely functional and almost devoid of aesthetic qualities, was upgraded by the addition of an Italianate two-story bell tower highlighting the main entryway, plus other design motifs to the building's cornice and other entries.
The building is significant owing to the role played by the new namesake and principle donor. Robert L. Hendren, Jr., ninth president of the college (1987 to 1999), was instrumental in rescuing the school from financial disaster and subsequently building a substantial endowment. He also obtained funding for two major additions to the physical assets of the school.
Attebery, Louie W. Albertson College of Idaho: The Second Hundred Years. Caldwell, ID: Albertson College of Idaho, 1999.
Attebery, Louie W. The College of Idaho 1891-1991: A Centennial History. Caldwell, ID: Caxton Publishers, 1991.