Mark Twain Study
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
This is the building where American author Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) wrote the vast majority of his most prominent works. Twain, who was married to Elmira College graduate Olivia Langdon (class of 1864), was given the study by his relative Mrs. Susan Crane. It was originally located at Quarry Farm, Twain's summer residence in Elmira but was moved to the college in 1952. The study was custom built to resemble the Mississippi riverboat captain pilothouses of Twain's youth.
The study is a significant building in the history of American literature, popular culture, and education, and its significance to the college is unquantifiable. The Center for Mark Twain Studies grants tours and helps facilitate Twain research.
Barber, William Charles. Elmira College: The First Hundred Years. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1955.
Johnstone, Janette. Elmira College Old Campus. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1984.
Mark Twain Archives. Gannett-Tripp Library, Elmira College, Elmira, NY.