Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Marshall Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Edgewood College
Original/Historic Place Name: Marshall Family's carriage house & barn (at Edgewood)
Location on Campus: near east edge of campus, entrance from Edgewood Ave.
Date(s) of Construction:
1864original construction (carriage house/ barn)
1953frame addition
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Regionalist/Vernacular (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: originally stone; addition is poured concrete
Walls: originally stone; addition is wood
Roof: shingles
 
Function:
ca. 1864other (carriage house and servant's quarters)
ca. 1864-1941other (laundry, sewing room, storage)
ca. 1941-present (2006)residence hall
 

Narrative:
1) Historic and current condition: The stone carriage house/barn was built in 1864. It has remained in good condition, having been renovated several times over the years. A major addition (in wood) was added when the student residence was expanded in 1953.

2) Significance: The original stone part of Marshall Hall is beautiful and unusual in the quality of its design and stone construction, considering its functional use as a carriage house/barn.
Historically, it is of great significance here because it is the only remaining structure from the
early days of Edgewood, built before the property was given to the Sinsinawa Dominican Sisters for use as an academy (1881) and before the opening of Edgewood College (1927). Its association with one of the first owners of the Edgewood Villa and his 55-acre estate is also important. The original property was owned by Samuel Marshall from 1857 to 1873. Marshall founded the first bank in Madison (the State Bank, 1852), and he was the co-founder of the Marshall and Ilsley banks (based in Milwaukee), one of the largest banking operations in the state of Wisconsin. Marshall's daughter, Elizabeth, often returned to Edgewood in later years and spoke of the early history of the place. It was she who had the historical plaque commemorating her father placed near the entrance to Marshall Hall.

The original part of the building is stone--which was unusual for a 1860s carriage house/barn in this area. The 1953 addition is an ordinary frame addition, common to the era and locale.
 

References:

Birmingham, Robert, and Leslie Eisenberg. Indian Mounds of Wisconsin. Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin Press, 2001.

Brown, Charles E. "Archeological Notes." Wisconsin Archeologist 18, no.4 (1919).

Brown, Charles E. "Lake Wingra." Wisconsin Archeologist 14, no.3 (1915).

Brown, Charles E. "The Springs of Lake Wingra." Wisconsin Magazine of History 10, no.3 (1927).

Ebben, James. Edgewood College Master Plan. 1995 (and updates to 2003). Edgewood College, Madison, WI.

Lapham, Increase. The Antiquities of Wisconsin, as Surveyed and Described. Washington, DC: Smithsonian, 1855. Facsimile edition, Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin Press, 2001.

Lewis, T. H. Northwestern Archaeological Survey. Vols. 24, 27, 28, 33, 34 of field notes. St. Paul, MN: Minnesota Historical Society, 1991.

McGreal, S. M. Nona. Edgewood College Master Plan. 1955. Edgewood College, Madison, WI.

Paynter, Mary. Phoenix from the Fire: A History of Edgewood College. Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin Press, 2002.

Rankin, Kitty. Edgewood College Mound Group. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1991.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006