| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Gate House (Lodge) served three purposes: guardian of the gate, residence, and boathouse. Constructed as part of the entrance opening in the low boundary wall which ran along Fairview Drive, the lodge controlled access to the estate. While no actual barrier ever blocked the driveway, the position of the structure gave its occupants control of persons entering and leaving the premises. Although tiny compared to the mansion it served, the Gate Lodge contained more space than the average family home. With a full basement, two floors, and a balcony area, the 43' x 36' dwelling boasted a living room, dining room, large kitchen, four bedrooms, and two baths. In addition to these accommodations, a separate wing at a jaunty angle to the living quarters included an enclosed boathouse 35' x 18', as well as a brick-paved landing platform 25' x 18' which projected into the waters of the large lake. Charles S. Walton kept his canoes and rowboats there.
Since 1952, the Gate House (Lodge) has been converted into housing for the University's faculty and both undergraduate and graduate students, and it is also used for departmental offices. The building remains valuable to the campus community as the historic entrance to the campus from 1952 to 1997.
Baird, John. Great House. St. Davids, PA: Eastern College, 1984.