| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Bay Hall, originally Walker Library, was constructed in 1959. It was design by Springfield architect Richard P. Stahl. Walker Library was the second library building constructed on the campus and the fourth location of the library collection. The building is located at the southern edge of the quadrangle of Burnham Circle on the site of Springfield's original "colored school".
The influence of Frank Lloyd Wright and Alvar Aalto's architecture can be seen in Mr. Stahl's design for Walker Library. The strong horizontal lines of the balconies and wood fascia and the distinct vertical mass of the chimney with its ornamented flue cover at the entry. The building also demonstrates Mr. Stahl's skill in integrating the building and the landscape through his use of enclosing garden terraces and walls.
In 1992, with the construction of the F. W Olin Library, Walker Library was renovated into administrative offices and renamed Bay Hall. The building currently houses the Admission, Registrar, Financial Aid, and College of Graduate and Continuing Studies offices. As such, the building serves as the "front door" to the university. The building's scale, materials, landscaping and frontage onto the quadrangle of Burnham Circle gives the facility a warm and inviting feeling that reflects the humanity of Mr. Stahl's design
Clippenger, Frank W. The Drury Story. Springfield, MO: Drury University, 1982.