Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Mazzuchelli Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Dominican University
Original/Historic Place Name: Mazzuchelli Hall
Location on Campus: main campus
Date(s) of Construction:
1925-1927original construction Cram & Ferguson
Designer: Cram & Ferguson (Boston)
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Gothic revival, Other (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, culture, history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: concrete
Walls: limestone
Roof: slate
 
Function:
ca. 1925-1970library
ca. 1925-present (2006)student union
ca. 1925-present (2006)dining hall
ca. 1925-present (2006)chapel
ca. 2004-present (2006)other (study and reading room)
 

Narrative:
Mazzuchelli Hall is named for Samuel Mazzuchelli, the founder of the Sinsinawa Dominicans. Mazzuchelli Hall is representative of the Dominican cornerstones of common prayer (Chapel), common student (library, which is now a reading room), and common life (dining room & social hall). Also of significance is the location of the building, which is in the heart of the campus and connected to the convent. The Rosary Chapel is named for Rosary College, the original name of the university. The architecture is of significance as well--beautiful, simple elegance in the old English collegiate style. Of particular significance is the wood paneled walls that surround all four spaces. The wood, dining chairs, and chapel pews were carved by the original university carpenter, Louis Marks. The dining chairs and chapel pews contain carved roses and the university shield.
 

References:

Centennial Magazine. Online (2006). Dominican University, River Forest, IL. www.dom.edu/news/magazine/archive/Centennial/magazine.html

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006