Brandt Memorial Bridge
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Brandt Memorial Bridge was built in 1930 to span Miller Pond and to provide an avenue for traffic between newly-completed Men's (now Smith) Hall and other campus buildings to the southeast. It is made of cast concrete in a classical design similar to the Porter Memorial Bridge near Frees Hall. The bridge is named for Herman F. Brandt, a professor of education and psychology, who joined the Doane faculty in 1927. Brandt provided funds to construct the bridge.
The bridge, which is in good condition, continues to carry heavy student traffic daily, and since its completion in 1930 has been a critical component of the foot traffic patterns on campus. This bridge has also been a favorite resting spot over the years for students wishing to feed the swans residing in Miller Pond.
Jeffries, Janet L. "Gentility on the Prairie, Urbanization and Refinement in Crete, Nebraska, 1871-1891." M. A. thesis, University of Nebraska at Lincoln, 1996.
Perry, Thomas D., ed. History of Doane College 1872-1912. Crete, NE: Doane College, 1957.