Dean Memorial Pergola
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Dean Memorial Pergola was presented to the college in 1930 by Carrie Dean, an 1880 aluma and sister of George and Arthur Dean of Dean and Dean, Architects, Chicago. (For details on Dean and Dean, Architects, see the Whitcomb Conservatory/Lee Memorial Chapel entry.) It shelters the original campus water source, a spring that is still active.
The entire Dean family had a strong attachment to Doane College over the years. Their Congregational missionary parents, Samuel and Augusta Dean, worked in the United States and abroad. In 1872, the Deans were assigned by the Home Missionary Society to work on the Nebraska frontier near Crete. They were pleased to find that a Congregational college was being erected and became avid supporters of the school. Their children, George and Arthur, and six other siblings, all attended Doane. One son, Edwin, served as Doane College president from 1925-36, and a daughter, Carrie, taught at Doane College for many years.
This pergola is of classical design and made entirely of cast concrete. The structure features Doric columns that support cross members. The floor is also of concrete and is designed to allow the spring to flow. Various campus organizations keep the pergola painted and the wooded area near it in good order.
Jeffries, Janet L. "Gentility on the Prairie, Urbanization and Refinement in Crete, Nebraska, 1871-1891." M. A. thesis, University of Nebraska at Lincoln, 1996.
Perry, Thomas D., ed. History of Doane College 1872-1912. Crete, NE: Doane College, 1957.
Ziegler, Donald J. A College on a Hill, Life at Doane College, 1872-1987. Lincoln, NE: Media Publishing, 1990.