Avenue of the Oaks
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The centerpiece of the Dillard University campus is the Avenue of the Oaks, a parallel row of fifteen live oak trees planted sometime during the late 1930s. The Avenue of the Oaks connects Rosenwald, Stern, and Kearny Halls together spatially as a quadrangle, forming the northern and southern ends of a great outdoor room. The avenue of trees and green lawns are approximately four hundred and fifty feet in length and are the longest avenue of oak trees in the City of New Orleans. During Founder's Day in the fall and Commencement in the spring, seniors walk from Rosenwald Hall to the front of Kearny Hall, where the graduation ceremony is held out-of-doors.
The live oak trees are in fine condition after more than sixty years of existence. The limbs of the trees form a wonderful canopy. New sidewalks, benches, and pole lights were in added in 2000.
Bernard, Louise, and Radiclani Clytus. Within These Walls, a Short History of Dillard University. New Orleans, LA: Dillard University, 2002.
Dillard Bulletin. 1937-1951. Archives, Dillard University, New Orleans, LA.
Dillard University. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 2003.
"Dillard University added to the National Register of Historic Places." Preservation in Print 30, no. 5.
Johnson, Clifton. "White Philanthropy Builds a Black School." Manuscript. Amistad Research Center, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA.
Julius Rosenwald Fund Archives. Special Collections, Franklin Library, Fisk University, Nashville, TN.
Master plan. Rendering. Office of the Campus Architect, Dillard University, New Orleans, LA.