| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Annex (now Pell Hall) was built in 1891 and was finished in time for the college's second session. Located near the Main Building and connected to it by a covered passageway on the first, second, and third floors, the Annex contained several recitation rooms, two calisthenics rooms, literary society halls, and residence rooms. In January 1892 the Main Building was destroyed by a fire, but the Annex was saved. The Annex, which served as classroom, dining area, and dormitory until the erection of Main Building, is today a dormitory. When retired President Robert P. Pell died in 1941, the Annex was re-named Pell Hall in his honor.
Eaddy, Mary Ann. Converse College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1975.