Saint Benedict's Monastery/Saint Scholastica Hall
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
In 1892 the Convent was enlarged with the addition of St. Scholastica to the northeast corner of St. Benedict, resulting in an elongated "T" configuration. St. Scholastica was designed to mimic the original St. Cecilia in scale and detailing; it is nine bays long and has the same type of window openings, although the dormers are smaller and have gable roofs with only one double hung window. Centered in the façade is a balconied, one-story, flat roof porch. The gable end has a series of double hung sash on each level, while the rear elevation is essentially the same as the façade except for the porch.
--From National Register Report, "St. Benedict's Convent and College Historic District" (1989).
Blegen, Theodore C. Minnesota: A History of the State. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 1975.
Koop, Michael. St. Benedict's Convent and College Historic District [College of Saint Benedict]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1989.
McDonald, Grace. "A Finishing School of the 1880s: Saint Benedict's Academy." Minnesota History 27, no. 2 (1946): 96-106.
McDonald, Grace. "Pioneer Teachers: The Benedictine Sisters at Saint Cloud." Minnesota History 35, no. 6 (June 1957): 263-71.
McDonald, Grace. With Lamps Burning. Saint Joseph, MN: Saint Benedict's Priory Press, 1957.
Mitchell, William B. History of Stearns County Minnesota. Vol. 1. Chicago: H. C. Cooper, Jr. and Co., 1915.