| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Finney Hall was one of two buildings first constructed in 1910 on The College of Idaho's "new campus," now the permanent campus. Although the building remains in its original location, the original French Renaissance style was lost owing to a major remodeling project in 1958, which altered the exterior to a Colonial style.
Both the construction and naming of Finney Hall are significant in the history of the college. Thanks to the singular efforts of Professor Julia V. Finney, Dr. D.K. Pearsons, a prosperous Chicago land developer, made the first major challenge gift to the college in 1907. Pearsons offered the college $25,000 if it could raise its endowment to $75,000. The challenge was met, the gift was made, and the resulting building was named in honor of Miss Finney. She remained at the college as both a teacher and administrator (ultimately, vice-president) until her retirement in 1925.
Attebery, Louie W. Albertson College of Idaho: The Second Hundred Years. Caldwell, ID: Albertson College of Idaho, 1999.
Attebery, Louie W. The College of Idaho 1891-1991: A Centennial History. Caldwell, ID: Caxton Publishers, 1991.
"Julia V. Finney, The College of Idaho, and the Dormitory Named Finney Hall." Online (2006). Albertson College of Idaho, Caldwell, ID. http://www.albertson.edu/aboutaci/finney%20history/finneyhall.asp?ID=about