Campus master plan and building group
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Agnes Scott is one of a number of church-affiliated colleges organized across the South after the Civil War in an effort to revamp a sorely lacking education system. Agnes Scott was originally chartered as the Decatur Female Seminary in 1889. In 1890, Colonel George W. Scott contributed $112,250 to purchase five acres of land and build Agnes Scott Hall, also known as "Main." From that humble beginning the College has grown to 100 acres and 26 buildings plus an apartment complex, and it is recognized as a nationally prominent liberal arts college. The Board of Trustees endorsed a Master Plan in 1997 that would strengthen the College's assets and allow for future growth.
More than $120 million was invested in the College's master plan. Within a five-year period the College renovated Evans Hall, McCain Library, Bradley Observatory, and three houses in the residential village; replaced the Alston Campus Center; and built the Byers Tennis courts, the Parking Deck/Public Safety Center, and the Delafield Planetarium and Science Center.
In addition to the building plan, a master landscape plan also was approved. Carol R. Johnson Associates Inc. of Boston was enlisted to bring the College's landscape into the 21st century. The plan emphasized not only the buildings, but also the abundance and variety of trees on campus. One of the most diverse urban forests in Georgia, the campus has several trees that have been named on the Georgia Landmark and Historic Tree Register.