| Click on image titles for larger views. |
| Institution Name: University of the Cumberlands |
Original/Historic Place Name: Williamsburg Institute
Location on Campus: Main St.
Date(s) of Construction:
| 1888||original construction |
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Victorian (Glossary)
Significance: culture, education, history, religion
Narrative: see below
References: see below
| Materials: |
|ca. 1888||other (recitation building)|
| 1928-present (2006)||residence hall (women)|
Initially known as Institute Hall, Roburn Hall was the first building of the Williamsburg Institute. Built in 1888 at a cost of $8,000, this building has served as a recitation facility, and in 1928 was renamed Roburn Hall, which means "oaken" in Latin. From that time to the present, Roburn Hall has served as a residence hall for female students.