Campanile and Centennial Plass
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
In the early days of Concordia a small creek ran across the north end of the campus, forming a small pond near the president's house that was dubbed Prexy's Pond. When the city drained the creek, Concordia students requested that Prexy's Pond be saved.
Campanile & Centennial Plass
E. A. Sovik first articulated the concept of an academic circle in his campus plan of the mid-1950s. Accordingly, the library (study), Centrum (worship), and Campanile topped by a cross are located in the center surrounded in concentric fashion by academic buildings, dormitories, maintenance facilities, and parking lots. Plazas and courtyards graced by sculpture were added two decades later to develop spaces between buildings.
The 100 foot tower, at the center of campus, has six bronze bells of a combined weight of 5,092 pounds. The bells call the college community to worship, celebration, and somber reflection. At the top of the structure is a 6' x 6' cross covered in gold leaf.
Englehardt, Carroll. On Firm Foundation Grounded: The First Century of Concordia College (1891-1991). Moorhead, MN: Concordia College, 1991.