| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The building housed almost all the college programs until after 1945. Originally it contained classrooms, laboratories, a library, gymnasium, auditorium, and administrative offices. In 1974 it was remodeled as a classroom building and houses the departments of business, accounting and economics, education, history, political science, sociology, and social work.
Old Main is perhaps the best example of Classical Revival architecture in the Moorhead area. Old Main is the most significant building associated with Concordia College, a Lutheran school started in 1891. At that time the Northwestern College Association purchased the campus, which had operated from 1882-1887 as Bishop Whipple School, an Episcopal school.
Englehardt, Carroll. On Firm Foundation Grounded: The First Century of Concordia College (1891-1991). Moorhead, MN: Concordia College, 1991.
Gebhard, David, and Tom Martinson. A Guide to the Architecture of Minnesota. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 1977.
Harvey, Tom. Main Building, Concordia College [MN]. Inventory report. St. Paul, MN: State Historic Preservation Office, Minnesota Historical Society, 1979.