| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The symbolic cornerstone of Buttrick Hall was laid on May 30, 1930, and founding trustee Charles Murphey Candler made the address. The four-story structure opened for classes five months later in September 1930. Designed as an administrative-classroom building, Buttrick Hall cost $301,743 to build. Since $300,000 of the funds had come from the General Education Board of New York, the Trustees chose to name the building in memory of Dr. Wallace Buttrick, the board's former president.
Buttrick Hall was designed by the local architectural firm Edwards and Sayward. William Sayward, who lived in Decatur, was a prominent architect and well-known designer of institutional buildings. A 1978-1979 renovation updated the building while still preserving its original character. Air conditioning and new carpeting were installed and the building was rewired and outfitted with audiovisual facilities and equipment. Henry Howard Smith of Atlanta was the architect for the renovation.
Alst, James Van. "Academic and Science Buildings," in "University Buildings Reference Number." Architectural Forum 54 (June 1931): 751-60.
Larson, Jens Frederick and Archie MacInnes Palmer. Architectural Planning of the American College. New York and London: McGraw-Hill, 1933.
McNair, Walter Edward. Lest We Forget: An Account of Agnes Scott College. Decatur, GA: Agnes Scott College, 1983.
Sayrs, M. Lee, and Christine S. Cozzens. A Full and Rich Measure. Decatur, GA: Agnes Scott College, 1990.
Sharp, Leslie N. South Candler Street--Agnes Scott College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1994.