Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project


Lowry Center "The Pit"

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: College of Wooster
Original/Historic Place Name: Lowry Center
Location on Campus: 1189 Beall Ave.
Date(s) of Construction:
1969original construction; October 10, 1969 Schooley Cornelius Schooley
Designer: Schooley Cornelius Schooley
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Modern/post-WWII (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, culture, education, engineering, history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
1969-present (2006)student union

Having a centralized student union building with all student mailboxes and a large dining hall represents the College's intention to build a unified student community. Few places are as central to this effort as the Lowry "pit," a cozy gathering spot in the main lounge of the student union that serves as the natural location for important town meetings, debates, and other such manifestations of an active student community.

Lowry Center (1968) is named in honor of the late President Howard Lowry. The "pit" is located on the main floor and contains a beautiful circular copper-hooded fireplace and a sunken conversation pit. (Wooster Alumni Magazine, Feb. 1968). The Lowry Center "pit" continues to be the living room for the entire campus.


Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006