George B. Dorr Museum of Natural History
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The original Acadia National Park Headquarters, commissioned by George B. Door, the first superintendent of Acadia National Park, in 1914, is a rustic one-and-a-half-story building qualifying for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. The building was scheduled to be razed to make way for the new Bar Harbor YMCA when, in 1996, the College of the Atlantic requested that the building be saved and moved to its campus, where it was to be used as the entryway to the new Natural History Museum.
Now the George Dorr Museum of Natural History, the building houses exhibits prepared by students at the College of the Atlantic. It serves as an educational center for students involved with the College's Educational Studies program, and for students interested in museum preparation/education and alternative education. The Museum connects the institution to the area by hosting various school programs from the local and regional community, and it is frequented by individual visitors as well.