Letitia Pate Evans Dining Hall
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Designed by the architectural firm of Logan and Williams, Evans Hall was built in 1950 to replace the reception room of Rebekah Scott Hall as the dining facility on campus. The building, located on the west side of South Candler St. across from the Anna Young Alumnae House, was named in honor of the Letitia Pate Evans, a former college trustee and one of the first women to sit on the board of a major American corporation when The Coca-Cola Co. appointed her in 1934. Mrs. Evans's personal contributions and effective fund raising made the building's construction possible.
Initially, Evans contained a large vaulted dining hall, two smaller dining rooms, and kitchen facilities. A 1999 renovation enlarged the building by 5,500 square feet, to a total of 35,900 square feet. New features include a marché-style serving area and a grand staircase leading to the Terrace Level, which offers modern conference and meeting rooms, a dining terrace, and a reception area. Evans seats 400 in the main dining room and serves 8,000 meals each week during the academic year.
Agnes Scott College Alumnae Magazine (Spring/Summer 2000).
Dedication of Letitia Pate Evans Dining Hall, Agnes Scott College. Program brochure. 1999.
McNair, Walter Edward. Lest We Forget: An Account of Agnes Scott College. Decatur, GA: Agnes Scott College, 1983.
Sayrs, M. Lee, and Christine S. Cozzens. A Full and Rich Measure. Decatur, GA: Agnes Scott College, 1990.
Sharp, Leslie N. South Candler Street--Agnes Scott College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1994.