Saint Benedict’s Monastery/Saint Benedict Hall
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Rectangular in plan, St. Benedict Hall was added perpendicular to the north gable of St. Cecilia Hall in 1883, projecting behind it and forming an "L" plan. Also 2 ½ stories high on a raised foundation, the five bay façade is dominated by a projecting three-story tower which has a mansard roof and matching gable dormers to the east and west. The fenestration of the west-facing extension is identical to St. Cecilia Hall.
--From National Register Report, "St. Benedict's Convent and College Historic District" (1989).
Blegen, Theodore C. Minnesota: A History of the State. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 1975.
Koop, Michael. St. Benedict's Convent and College Historic District [College of Saint Benedict]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1989.
McDonald, Grace. "A Finishing School of the 1880s: Saint Benedict's Academy." Minnesota History 27, no. 2 (1946): 96-106.
McDonald, Grace. "Pioneer Teachers: The Benedictine Sisters at Saint Cloud." Minnesota History 35, no. 6 (June 1957): 263-71.
McDonald, Grace. With Lamps Burning. Saint Joseph, MN: Saint Benedict's Priory Press, 1957.
Mitchell, William B. History of Stearns County Minnesota. Vol. 1. Chicago: H. C. Cooper, Jr. and Co., 1915.