Noyes Alumnae House
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Noyes Alumnae House is the oldest building on Notre Dame's campus. The 19th century country house, or mansion, was purchased by the School Sisters of Notre Dame in 1873 in order to have access to additional springs of water. Neither architect nor builder is known. Before 1957 the exterior was painted yellow, in the tradition of early Baltimore exteriors. The paint was removed from the brick at the recommendation of the architect of an adjacent building when that building was being erected. No structural changes have been made to Noyes Alumnae House.
Until 1984 it was known as Montrose, a name probably derived from the Scottish ancestry of its first owner, James Malcolm. It was renamed Noyes Alumnae House after its renovation was made possible by three sisters of the Noyes family who graduated from the College during the 1920s. The first floor of Noyes Alumnae House serves as a reception area for College events and alumnae activities. The Institutional Advancement offices are housed on the second and third floors.
Baltimore Sun, January 13, 1990.