Anna Young Alumnae House and Garden
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Built in 1921, the colonial, two-story Anna Young Alumnae House is the oldest alumnae house in Georgia, and the second oldest in the nation. The Board of Trustees approved $20,000 to build the house, and it was named for Miss Anna Irwin Young, who taught mathematics at the College from 1895 until her death in 1920. The building also serves as a campus guesthouse.
Located on the west side of South Candler St., the Alumnae House is a brick building with a porch roof over the front door supported by four columns with dentils on the cornice. Originally the back of the house contained a large room that was used as a tearoom, where the house hostess would serve special breakfasts, luncheons, dinners, and afternoon teas for any faculty member, alumnae, or student who wished to entertain there. Although the original parlor, dining room, and kitchen remain, the tearoom has become part of the Alumnae Office. The house has become the social center of campus, and a formal garden was planted behind the building. The garden is also home to the first college Garden for Peace, an international effort led by an Agnes Scott alumna. A sculpture of Robert Frost created by George W. Lundeen was was dedicated there in April, 1991.
Gardens for Peace. Brochure. Decatur, GA: Agnes Scott College, [n. d.].
McNair, Walter Edward. Lest We Forget: An Account of Agnes Scott College. Decatur, GA: Agnes Scott College, 1983.
Robert Frost and Agnes Scott College. Dedication brochure. April 2001.
Sayrs, M. Lee, and Christine S. Cozzens. A Full and Rich Measure. Decatur, GA: Agnes Scott College, 1990.
Sharp, Leslie N. South Candler Street--Agnes Scott College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1994.