| Click on image titles for larger views. |
Fourier Hall (interior, with fresco by Marie-Alain Couturier, O.P.), College of Notre Dame of Maryland
Fourier Library was built when the old library, located in College Hall (now Mary Meletia Hall) began to outgrow its space. The E-shaped building, joined to Mary Meletia Hall by an enclosed cloister walk, is of the same tapestry brick as Mary Meletia Hall. The Art-Deco building was designed by Frederick V. Murphy (whose son, Michael Murphy was the architect for the renovation of the College's Marikle Chapel of the Annunciation), a noted Washington-based architect who had a thriving practice from 1911 to 1957. The name of the building honors St. Peter Fourier, a 16th century remote founder of the School Sisters of Notre Dame.
The building was renovated in 1971 when the Loyola/Notre Dame Library was opened and renamed Fourier Hall. During this renovation the original classrooms were unchanged; the only structural change in the library quarters was the removal of a stack floor, making a higher ceiling in a section partitioned for nursing education offices. The current renovation includes a new heating and cooling system, new plumbing, electrical upgrades, new stairs and elevators for handicap access, and a new entry on the east side.
Of historical note are three frescoes in Fourier painted by Marie-Alain Couturier, O.P., a pioneer of the revival in liturgical art as well as scholar, priest, and artist. Father Couturier was an instructor in the art department at the College from 1942-1952. He painted the frescoes in gratitude for the hospitality the College extended to him during his stay. The frescoes will be preserved during the current renovation.
"Catholic Encyclopedia: St. Peter Fourier." Online (2003). New Advent. http://www.newadvent.org/Cathen/11767b.htm
Cucchiella, S. Baltimore Deco, An Architectural Survey of Art in Baltimore. Baltimore: Maclay & Associates, 1984.
David, Sister Mary. "Legacy of Light." America (April 24, 1954): 107-08.
Engelmeyer, Bridget Marie, Fred Shoken, and George Andreve. College of Notre Dame of Maryland. National Register of Historic Places nomination form. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1980.
"Frederick V. Murphy." Catholic Historical Review (Winter, 1987).
Time, June 20, 1949.
Time, November 1, 1954.