Mary Meletia Hall
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Mary Meletia Hall, formerly College Hall, was built in 1910 to accommodate Notre Dame's growing enrollment. The design and location of this unique U-shaped building reflected a change in architectural expression and institutional identity for the College, "moving away from the remote 'college on the hill' imagery of the campus' first three and a half decades toward a more secular and cosmopolitan identity. Facing North Charles Street directly, College Hall figuratively and literally turned its back on Gibbons Hall to address the larger community of Baltimore." ("History of the College's Physical Development," College of Notre Dame of Maryland Master Plan for the Next Century, [Robert A.M. Stern Architects, 1996]).
The building was renovated in 1966 after a fire and renamed Mary Meletia Hall in honor of the first dean of the College, whose vision and powerful leadership had the greatest influence on the early development of the College's baccalaureate degree program. The goal of the renovation and preservation work done in 1999 was to create an efficient and distinctive living space for students. Improvements included new bathrooms, interior painting, carpeting, new furniture for student rooms, refinished wood floors, new plumbing, and individually controlled heating and cooling units in each student room. In addition, the tile roof was completely repaired and windows were painted. In 2000 the lower level of Meletia Hall was renovated to create the Feeley International Center, which houses the Classical/Modern Language Department, a language lab, and the English Language Institute and International Program offices.
Mary Meletia Hall's most prominent architectural feature lends its name to the College's student newspaper, Columns.
Engelmeyer, Bridget Marie, Fred Shoken, and George Andreve. College of Notre Dame of Maryland. National Register of Historic Places nomination form. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1980.
Franklin, Debra M. CND 100: The Heritage We Claim, College of Notre Dame of Maryland 1896-1996. Baltimore: College of Notre Dame of Maryland, 1996, 13-14.
Robert A. M. Stern Architects. "History of the College's Physical Development." College of Notre Dame of Maryland Master Plan for the Next Century. New York: Robert A. M. Stern Architects, 1996.