Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Gill Library

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: College of New Rochelle
Original/Historic Place Name: Mother Irene Gill Memorial Library
Location on Campus: Castle Pl.
Date(s) of Construction:
1938original construction Vorhees, Walker, Foley & Smith
2002complete renovation The Hillier Group
Designer: Vorhees, Walker, Foley & Smith; HillierArchitects
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Modern/pre-WWII, Other (Glossary)
Significance: history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: stone
Walls:
Roof:
 
Function:
ca. 1938other (archives)
1938-present (2006)other (offices)
1938-present (2006)library
ca. 2004-present (2006)classroom (multimedia)
 

Narrative:
Gill Library, built in 1938, has a collection of some 200,000 volumes and subscribes to over 1200 periodicals. The library is named after Mother Irene Gill, who founded The College of New Rochelle in 1904. The library was totally renovated and rededicated in 2002.
 

References:
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006