Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Residential Village (124, 132, and 138 College Ave.)

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Agnes Scott College
Original/Historic Place Name: Pratt House, McClesky House, and Austin House
Location on Campus: 124, 132, and 138 College Ave.
Date(s) of Construction:
1895-1896original construction
2001renovation
Designer:
Type of Place: Building group
Style: Victorian, Regionalist/Vernacular, Other (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, education
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Function:
ca. 1900private residence (multiple)
ca. 2004-present (2006)other (academic "theme" houses)
ca. 2004-present (2006)residence halls
 

Narrative:
These mid-1890s Queen Anne style houses were renovated by the College and opened as student residences in 2001. Each house is architecturally distinctive, with pre-renovation assessments ranging from "excellent example" to "fair architectural value." Ann Beha Architects of Boston, a nationally recognized architectural firm specializing in historic preservation of cultural and education buildings, created the master plan for the West College Avenue renovations.

Designated as "theme" houses, Residential Village houses students interested in concentrated academic inquiry. The houses are organized around specific ideas and issues proposed by faculty, who also act as house sponsors. Some past themes include: environmental studies, international studies, music, Spanish, and German studies.
 

References:

Sharp, Leslie N. South Candler Street--Agnes Scott College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1994.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006