| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Chapel House is an outstanding example of late, International Style Modernism on an intimate scale. The clarity of its functional organization is paralleled with fine transitions of material and supported by an exploitation of siting. The finest space is the Chapel itself, in which tinted glass, steel frames, slate flooring, and a gold mosaic combine to form a space well suited to meditation and interdenominational worship. In Colgate's history, the building reflects a conscious shift in architectural identity from the conservative and elegant stone revivalism of the Central Quadrangle to an explicitly progressive, modernist image. Within the institution, Chapel house has served an important, historic role in integrating Colgate's commitments to religious, Asian, and peace studies.
The Colgate University Centennial Celebration: 1819-1919. Hamilton, NY: Colgate University, 1920.
Klauder, Charles Z., and Herbert C. Wise. College Architecture in America and Its Part in the Development of the Campus. New York and London: C. Scribner's Sons, 1929.
Williams, Howard. A History of Colgate University, 1819-1969. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1969.