| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Merrill House was built for $28,000 to replace the Ann Smith Masters House, which had served as the President's residence from its acquisition in 1868. It is one of the most architecturally distinguished buildings on campus. Its strengths are threefold. First, its siting is quite unusual in that it is the only structure on campus that uses the hillside to turn a façade toward the center of the Village. (In the past year, that superb orientation has been affirmed through the creation of a fine flower garden and terrace.) Secondly, its complex rooflines, exterior surfaces, and volumetric extrusions capture the best qualities of the shingle style. Finally, its interior retains its fine wood paneling and displays a gracious, open arrangement of rooms off the grand staircase. One of its dining rooms is decorated with a mural recounting the history of the University.
The Colgate University Centennial Celebration: 1819-1919. Hamilton, NY: Colgate University, 1920.
Williams, Howard. A History of Colgate University, 1819-1969. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1969.