| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
[from National Register] This is one of the few surviving buildings designed in the early Romanesque Revival style and is one of the finest examples of that style in the city of New York. The later, stylistically similar extensions harmonize well with and complement the original building, creating a unified assemblage.
The first structure of the administration building was built from 1857 to 1879 by Henry Engelbert, an architect active in NYC from 1852-1879.
The 1865 extension to the original building may have been designed by Engelbert. The architect of the 1883 section is unknown. The 1906-08 addition was designed and built by E. Yenz. The 1951 wing was added to the northern end of the complex and contains neo-Federal elements. It has served as the Convent of Mount St. Vincent since 1951.
In 1910 the Academy of Mount St. Vincent became the College of Mount Saint Vincent. The original academy building now serves as the Administration building of the College, and the additions house related administrative and academic functions.
College of Mount St. Vincent Administration Building. New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission designation list. New York: New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission, 1979.
Fonthill Castle and the Administration Building of the College of Mount St. Vincent. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1980.